A disturbing report in the Jamaica Gleaner recently highlighted the issue of unregistered nursing homes on the island. Here is the response of the Caribbean Community of Retired Persons (CCRP). Be careful! With so many homes for the elderly unregistered, do check the list of those registered posted below, before making any arrangements for your loved ones. Do contact the Ministry of Health for further information.
CCRP URGES USE OF REGISTERED NURSING HOMES
Kingston, Jamaica – 08 March 2019
The seniors’ advocacy organization, CCRP (Caribbean Community of Retired Persons) has noted with deep concern the report of gross neglect at an unregistered nursing home in Portmore. The organization is urging the use of the Ministry of Health (MOH) registry of Nursing Homes available on the MOH website.
CCRP has contacted the Standards, Monitoring and Regulations Unit at the Ministry of Health and were informed that the Unit has a staff of only two persons whose responsibility it is to inspect nursing homes islandwide.
CCRP has learned that officers of the National Council for Senior Citizens (NCSC) make regular visits to nursing homes but they have no authority to conduct inspections. CCRP is, therefore, suggesting that in view of the limited resources at the Ministry of Health, officers at the NCSC be trained and given the authority to assist in this important aspect of the duty of care which we owe to our senior citizens.
The CCRP Legal Committee has applauded the Green Paper, National Policy for Senior Citizens, 2018, prepared by Minister Shahine Robinson which addresses some of these concerns.
The Committee will be collaborating with the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, advocating for legislation to protect the elderly.
CCRP noted that there are several types of abuse of the elderly, namely:
● Physical Abuse
● Psychological or Emotional Abuse
● Financial or Material Abuse
● Sexual Abuse
CCRP encourages all Jamaicans to use the NCSC hotline 1 888 Seniors to report any of these types of abuse.
LIST OF FACILITIES REGISTERED UNDER THE NURSING HOMES REGISTRATION ACT PARISH FACILITY SERVICES CERTIFICATION PERIOD
Note: According to this list from the Ministry of Health, there are NO registered Nursing Homes in four parishes: Hanover, Portland, St. Thomas and Westmoreland. There are very few in the entire western end of the island.
KINGSTON & ST. ANDREW
1. Awbi Chateau Nursing Home 12/12/2013 09/10/2016
2. Chinese Home for the Aged Nursing Home 29/05/2015 28/05/2017
3. Fairway Nursing Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 09/10/2016
4. Faydene Methodist Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 09/10/2016
5. Francis Ham Residence Nursing Home 12/12/2013 09/10/2016
6. Gallimore McPherson Home for Senior Citizens Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
7. Green Acres Nursing Home Nursing Home 27/04/2015 26/04/2017
8. Harrison Memorial Home for the Aged Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
9. Haven Nursing and Care Centre Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
10. Hillcrest Nursing Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
11. Hopefield Nursing Home for The Aged Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
12. Horizon Home for the Aged Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
13. Liguanea Theatre Company Limited Ambulatory Care 29/05/2015 28/05/2017
14. New Creation Home For the Aged Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
15. Ozanam Home for The Aged Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
16. Rolph Grant Senior Citizen’s Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 09/10/2016
17. Suncrest Nursing Home Nursing Home 29/05/2015 20/05/2017
18. TLC Services Limited Nursing Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
1. Avondale Nursing Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 09/10/2016
2. Changes Home & Day Care for the Aged
Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
3. Friends & Family Golden Age Home #1 Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
4. Golden Eve Home for the Aged Nursing Home 29/05/2015 28/05/2017
5. Sandilands Nursing Home Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
1. Rosegarden Nursing and Retirement Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
1. Golden Years Home for the Aged Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
2. Hampton Senior Living Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
1. Walkers Wood Nursing Home Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
1. Allibecca Villa Limited Retirement Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
2. Eulice Utton Home Nursing Home 09/10/2014 09/10/2016
3. Maxicare Manor Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
4. United Church Senior Citizens Home Nursing Home 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
1. Ashre Care Centre Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
2. Mobay Hope Medical Centre Ambulatory Care 12/12/2013 11/12/2015
1. Clinic Assist Hospiten Jamaica Ltd. Ambulatory Care 27/04/2015 26/04/2017
WESTMORELAND None registered
ST. THOMAS None registered
1. Valley Grove Nursing and Retirement Home Nursing Home 13/04/2015 12/04/2017
HANOVER None Registered
PORTLAND None Registered
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in this listing is considered public information and is, therefore, suitable for distribution to the public. The Ministry of Health is not responsible for any inadvertent error that may have slipped into the information being published on this website and no legal claim can be made to the Ministry of Health for any damage caused by using the content of this listing. The Ministry of Health reserves the right to change the information in this list at any point in time without further notification. Any mention of services within the list is for information only; it does not imply recommendation or endorsement of the service. Users of the information have a responsibility to verify the content before entering into any sort of obligation or commitment based on the information contained therein. For additional assistance please contact the Ministry of Health Standards and Regulations Division at 45-47 Barbados Avenue, Kingston 5.