Yes, it’s true. The Riverton City Dump is on fire again, apparently started deliberately. It is hot, windy and dry. This morning, New Kingston was shrouded in haze. Here is an urgent release from the Ministry of Health. In addition to children, I would also add that you should check on the health of your senior family members and friends, who are also vulnerable.
July 30, 2018
Potential Adverse Health Effects of Smoke From Riverton City Dump Fire
The Ministry of Health wishes to advise members of the public to take the following precautions, following the recent fire at the Riverton City Dump. Persons are asked to avoid exposure to the smoke by doing the following:
- Minimize all outdoor activities and persons living in and around the vicinity of the Riverton City Dump should close windows and doors to prevent excessive exposure.
- Persons who suffer from asthma and other respiratory illnesses should cover mouth and nose with a clean damp rag to protect themselves from inhalation of smoke and dust particles.
- Keep children indoors as much as possible; look out for any difficulty in breathing or any discomfort that your child may experience.
- Persons with illnesses such as heart or lung conditions and other chronic diseases should continue to take medications as prescribed.
- Anyone who is experiencing difficulty breathing, wheezing or tightness in the chest should seek urgent medical assistance.