The Environmental Foundation of Jamaica (EFJ) has just issued a new Call for Proposals for projects that help communities across the island adapt to climate change. This is part of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) US$1.4 million Adaptation Program and Financing Mechanisms for Pilot Program for Climate Resilience (PPCR), rolled out by EFJ in collaboration with the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation. In the first round, eighteen grantees in nine parishes received grants totalling J$74.9 million. These grants were signed on January 30, 2017. Under the latest Call, the grants are for up to a maximum J$5 million. You can find full details, including application form on the EFJ website here.
This time around, the EFJ would like to see more proposals from the eastern side of the island (St. Thomas, Portland, St. Mary) as well as the west. So, if you are aware of qualified and registered organisations that may have suitable projects, please share this information with them. The grants are available to non-governmental organisations, community-based organisations and other civil society groups, as well as some public sector entities working at the community level. Please note also that special consideration will be given to women’s groups and vulnerable groups.
The EFJ will consider proposals covering the following areas:
- soil conservation (rehabilitation of degraded lands, check dams, soil erosion prevention measures)
- afforestation/reforestation (including agroforestry)
- climate-smart agro-businesses and tourism businesses
- climate-resilient cropping systems (aquaponics, greenhouses, climate-resilient crops)
- water management (conservation, recycling, rainwater harvesting, establishment/rehabilitation of small water systems)
- disaster preparedness (for agriculture or in communities)
- renewable energy systems as part of a climate change adaptation project
- management of agricultural waste
- climate-smart building (roof insulation, green roofs, rain gardens, sustainable building practices)
- protection from sea-level rise
Proposals must be signed and delivered to EFJ office (or via email, NOT fax) by 3:30 pm on Friday, April 28. Office is 1B Norwood Avenue, off Oxford Road.
Application Form and Information Sheet (attached) are available at the EFJ office and on the EFJ and Ministry of Economic Growth & Job Creation websites.
Organisations intending to apply can also pre-register for a free Proposal Writing Workshop. Contact EFJ office by March 15 to register.
For more details and if you have questions, please contact EFJ directly: 1B Norwood Avenue, Kingston 5 (office open Mondays – Fridays, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm). Tel: 960-6744/7954/3224; 926-6776 Email: email@example.com Website: http://www.efj.org.jm Ask for Charmaine Webber or Mark Constable.
Please do follow the EFJ on social media! LIKE the Environmental Foundation of Jamaica and follow them on Twitter @The_EFJ.
One thought on “Environmental Foundation of Jamaica Seeks Climate Change Adaptation Projects for Funding”