Many of us are disturbed and sad at the way Jamaican children are treated – in communities, homes and often by the state itself. The month of May is Child Month in Jamaica, when there is a heightened focus on children’s rights. As a precursor to this, UNICEF Jamaica has partnered with several organizations (the Office of the Children’s Advocate, Do Good Jamaica, the Gleaner, Television Jamaica and Jamaica News Network) and arranged four public meetings this month, starting in Montego Bay next Tuesday. The aim is not just to air the challenges and problems, but to explore solutions. There is a way forward.
Do support these meetings, where you will have the opportunity to talk to a range of experts on specific areas in which our children need protection. And please share this information with anyone with children, around children or working with children. Or with people who truly care.
The meetings, each with a different theme, are scheduled as follows:
- Public Forum #1: Keep Children Safe in the Community – Preventing and Interrupting Violence in Volatile Communities
- Speaker: Rev. Everton Jackson, Board Chairman, Peace Management Initiative, Western Division
- Tuesday, April 5 at 6:00 p.m. Montego Bay Cultural Centre
- Public Forum #2: Keep Children Safe from Sexual Violence – Supporting Adolescent Survivors of Childhood Abuse
- Speakers: Eve for Life
- Tuesday, April 12 at 10:00 a.m. Knutsford Court Hotel, Kingston
- Public Forum #3: Keep Children Safe in School – Reducing Violence Through Reinforcement of Positive Values and Behavior
- Speakers: School-wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Support Program
- Tuesday, April 19 at 6:00 p.m. Versalles Hotel, May Pen, Clarendon
- Public Forum #4: Keep Children Safe from Online Exploitation – Protecting Children from Online Dangers
- Speakers: Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse (CISOCA) and the Cybercrime Unit
- Tuesday, April 26 at 10:00 a.m. Knutsford Court Hotel, Kingston
It’s time to start caring.
You can contact UNICEF Jamaica at 60 Knutsford Boulevard, 8th Floor, Kingston 5. Office hours: Mon. to Thurs. 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Phone: (876) 926-7584; Fax: 929-8084 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.unicef.org/jamaica/ Also on Facebook, Twitter @UNICEFJamaica and Instagram.