This phrase The Bold Ones always reminds me of that long-running soap opera, The Bold and the Beautiful. These Jamaican entrepreneurs may or may not consider themselves beautiful, but they are certainly an inspiration. Setting out on the entrepreneurial road in Jamaica has its challenges.
These seven enterprises were recognized recently at the launch of The Bold Ones 2016. This is the fourth group to be so recognized, and for the next two years the fledgling (under seven years old) companies will receive considerable marketing and advertising support from National Bakery, headed by the visionary Gary “Butch” Hendrickson. This is a crucial aspect of business that small enterprises are usually unable to focus on (or afford).
I noticed how many of these entrepreneurs used organic Jamaican products – one sees how there is so much economic value and room for growth in our agriculture. I loved that these products were eco-friendly and natural – a part of the “green economy” I just wrote about.
So, let me introduce you to this year’s Bold Ones. You probably want to know where you can find them (and their products) so I’ve also attached a little contact list, as follows:
- Coldbush Organics (Mount Pleasant Farm Chocolatiers): Hellen French, CEO. 49 Ocean Lake, Bull Bay, St Andrew. Tel: (876) 854 5604; 750 0563. Products: Chocolate Bars, Cocoa Powder, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate Spread, Bulk Chocolate. Available at: Loshusan, Coconut Industry Board, Jamaica Pegasus Hotel.
- DeJaFrut – All Natural Sorbet: Marie and Maria Wilson, Managing Directors. Lot 686, Half Moon Street, Coral Gardens, Montego Bay (plaza across from Holiday Inn Sunspree). Tel: Ja: (876) 582-0845; 868-0665; U.S.: 914-837-1441. Email: maria@DeJaFrut.com; marie@DeJaFrut.com. Product: Six Jamaican fruit flavors: coconut, guava, hibiscus tea (sorrel), June plum, mango and pineapple. Available at: Supermarkets, pharmacies, convenience stores (over 100 locations in Jamaica). Distributed by Wisynco.
- Ettenio: Antoinette Davis, Managing Director. Lot 142, Moorland Estates, Mandeville, Manchester. Tel: (876) 625-1296; 448-2397. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: http://www.ettenio.com Products: 100% natural haircare, skincare, bodycare. Available at: Fontana Pharmacies, Chery’s Beauty Supply, Proactive Lifestyle, Discount Beauty Supply.
- Shavuot International Holdings Company Ltd: Richard Harris, Managing Director. 11-13 Kingsway, Kingston 10. Factory: McKessey Lane, Wynters Pen, Spanish Town, St. Catherine. Tel: (876) 977-3990; 818-8292; 527-2664. Email: Shavoutfarms@gmail.com. Website: http://www.shavuotfarms.com/index.php Products: Moringa, Soursop Tea and Powder; Jamaican Black Castor Oil; Moringa Seeds; Scotch Bonnet Pepper Powder and Flakes.
- Tritronic Electronics Ltd: Garfield Spence, CEO. Shop #6, 33 Lyndhurst Road, Kingston 5. Tel: (876) 630-3739; 383 8961; 960 5561. email@example.com. Products: Surge protectors, voltage monitors. Facebook: Ultimate Surge Protector.
- Turner Innovations Ltd: Allison Turner. Comma Pen, Watson Hill PO, Manchester. Tel: (876) 965-5078; 354-3661; 485-8422. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: http://turnerinnovations.net . Products: Sorrel Harvesting Machine, dried sorrel. Available: Megamart.
- Umium: June Gottgens, CEO. PO Box 2629, Red Hills Kingston 8. Tel: (876) 542 3159. Website: http://umiumjamaica.com Products: Coconut and Roasted Almond Chocolate Spread. Available: Supermarkets, hotels, pharmacies.
Do go and try these products, if you don’t already know them. And if you love them, recommend them to others. Let’s support our local manufacturers!
June Gottgens and her Belgian husband Walter developed an interest in – you’ve guessed it – chocolate. The result is the divine Umium Coconut Chocolate Spread. Yes, divine! I also saw Roasted Almond Chocolate Spread but that has not yet hit the shelves, I understand. (Photo: ProComm)