Another beautiful Sunday morning in Kingston city. White wing doves coo. Leaves flutter. The sky an ineffable blue, filled with liquid sunshine.
And yet, there is darkness on the horizon. What is this? Oh, the city dump is on fire again. Below please find a few of the many online comments from long-suffering Kingston residents, and photographs tweeted throughout the morning – not in any chronological order. These all speak for themselves.
First, here’s a quote from my blog post of four days ago. How ironic! “Oh! Our city dump is operating illegally… As we would say in social media, “smh.” I truly wonder about this government agency called the National Environment & Planning Agency (NEPA). I would also love to get some information on the air quality in the city from them. Does NEPA measure air quality?” [I partly wrote this because I have had respiratory problems – previously unheard of – for the past two or three months – I wake up coughing every night].
More comments and photos…
- So, regarding our concerns about Climate Change and the environment?
- ODPEM says KGN air quality is acceptable. Really ODPEM? Really? Says me- locked inside cause smoke still burns eyes/chest!
- Diana McCaulay: The latest Riverton fire is lack of accountability in government made visible and breathable.
- Clyde Williams: Riverton landfill fire could give rise to constitutional challenge under new Chapter Three of Jamaican Constitution. (Speaking on Radio Jamaica’s live program “It’s a Rap.”)
- Those poor people that are breathing the riverton air regardless of todays fire…Tragedy. Victims of the system. A probably dem light it…
- They should get out of there somehow. Maybe NEPA can bus them out to somewhere they can breathe? #Rivertonresidents
- National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) advises the tyre cell at Riverton is burning. Non existent management and enforcement of laws – it was bound to happen.
- Diana McCaulay: You would never believe we have a constitutional right to a healthy environment in Jamaica. But we do…Could ODPEM please tell us what air quality tests have been done and where in Kingston they were taken??
- A wah really a gwaan down a Riverton doh? SMH
- I didn’t even realize it was that time of year…for the Annual Ritual Riverton City Fire Festival.
- Jamaica Observer report: KINGSTON, Jamaica – Executive Director of the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) Jennifer Edwards is confirming that there is a fire now raging at the Riverton City Landfill in St Andrew.
According to Edwards the fire started at approximately 7:00 am this morning in an area adjacent to where tyres are usually stored. Teams from the Jamaica Fire Brigade, Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) and the NSWMA are on location working to extinguish the fire.
The NSWMA head issued the following warning. “Persons in and around the area with respiratory issues should ensure that they take all the necessary precautions.”
She also apologized for the inconvenience and wish to assure our citizens that we are working hard to ensure that the period of inconvenience is minimized.
OBSERVER ONLINE readers indicate that there is a huge plume of smoke that has enveloped the area, which can be seen from miles away.