This is my modest, personal contribution to an amazing series of videos, “We Are Jamaicans,” which is funded with the kind support of the Caribbean Vulnerable Communities Coalition (CVC) through its Global Fund Vulnerablised Project. These are short PSA-length videos – the voices of Jamaicans young and old, gay and straight, uptown and downtown – our personal stories, our thoughts, our perspectives.
My thought is that, in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., hate is too great a burden to bear. So much better to lay it down. Let us embrace Jamaica and Jamaicans, in all their wonderful, human diversity.
For some reason I don’t know how to post videos to this blog. But here is the link to my story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTekHlyrXE&feature=player_detailpage
And the entire series (a total of eighteen to date) can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/EqualityJA?feature=watch
Do browse through, enjoy, and post your feedback if you wish. Thank you!
- Jamaican Transgender Women Lend Their Voices To ‘We Are Jamaicans’ Campaign (repeatingislands.com)
- MLK: Marcus Garvey Was the First (youthandeldersja.wordpress.com)
- J-FLAG, Jamaica’s gay rights group, launches YouTube video campaign, ‘We Are Jamaicans’ (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Playing Politics With Jamaica’s Future (petchary.wordpress.com)
- Jamaican trans women call for equality (thefword.org.uk)
- http://petchary.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/jamaican-press-ignores-ground-breaking-gay-rights-video-campaign/ Jamaican press ignores ground-breaking gay rights video campaign
- http://petchary.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/i-admire-this-young-man/ I admire this young man