Happy Friday, all:
A kind fellow-blogger has nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. It’s a fun and supportive thing and I truly appreciate it. Many thanks to Crazy Train to Tinky Town – chronicling the thoughts of a single woman living in Turkey; you can find her delightful blog at http://crazytraintotinkytown.com/.
The rules of receiving this award are:
1. Add the award to your blog
2. Thank the blogger who gave it to you and include a link to their blog.
3. Mention 7 random things about yourself.
4. List the rules.
5. Give the award to 15 or more bloggers.
The Seven Random Things about me are:
1. I have a Kindle but still love my hard-cover novels;
2. I love to see mountains on the horizon;
3. I love my husband’s dreadful, corny jokes;
4. I am addicted to Cafe Latte from our neighborhood coffee shop, Cafe Blue in Kingston, Jamaica;
5. I am a complete non-cook – the microwave was the best invention of the 20th century;
6. I am a loyal and devoted fan of Arsenal Football Club – Go Gunners!
7. I am in love with Ryan Gosling (of course, he doesn’t know)
My fifteen nominees, in no particular order, are below. I think these blogs reflect the wonderful diversity of thought, opinion and topics online… and some great Jamaican ones are included, of course!
- A great blog celebrating women around the world and their achievements: inspirational, informative, interesting. http://ladyromp.com/
- Funny, insightful and warm: a blog from Jack Scott – one half of “Jack & Liam Go to Turkey” (yes it is a book, too) from “two openly gay, middle-aged, middle class men…”http://perkingthepansies.com/
- An incredibly informative, comprehensive daily overview of cultural life around the Caribbean written by two young academics, Ivette Romero-Cesareo and Lisa Paravisini-Gebert. http://repeatingislands.com/
- A lovely blog from a woman living abroad with her family – in the Netherlands – with wry observations and a lot of humor. Today’s blog post has a touch of Jamaican, too! http://www.adventuresinexpatland.com/wp/
- This is a weekly blog from the photography editors of Time magazine – if you love good, cutting-edge news photography this is for you. http://lightbox.time.com/
- A very thoughtful blog from an expat living in Canada, with an unusual background. Aisha Isabel Ashraf is a convert to Islam; she is currently writing on “Mindfulness.” http://expatlogue.wordpress.com/
- I am an art lover and this blog fascinates me. A great California-born woman artist with Russian/Tatar origins with a passion for the Vodou religion. Great art. http://erzulieredeyes.wordpress.com/
- Well, I told you already that I am an Arsenal fanatic. Here is a nice blog from another fanatic with good insights on the Gunners. http://arsenalheart.wordpress.com/
- Here is a great, down to earth blog from the vibrant city that is my home: Kingston, Jamaica. The blogger is, in her words, “110% Jamaican.” http://ayooutloud.wordpress.com/
- For techies in the Caribbean, this is a must-read from Jamaican pioneer Ingrid Riley, who also has a great FB page “Caribbean Women in Technology.” http://www.siliconcaribe.com/
- From an important commentator and interpreter of Jamaica (and dear friend) columnist Jean Lowrie-Chin… http://www.lowrie-chin.blogspot.com/ Read her marvelous book of poetry and thoughts, “Soul Dancing.”
- Another great blog from another dynamic Jamaican woman, Dr. Marcia Forbes – Fulbright Scholar, author, businesswoman and social media analyst. http://www.marciaforbes.com/
- Winner of the Jamaican Blogger of the Year 2011 award, with sharp commentary on Jamaican public affairs and politics. http://constructedthoughts.wordpress.com/
- A superb blog by Jamaican broadcaster Dionne Jackson-Miller focuses on current affairs from a journalist’s perspective. Take a look at http://newsandviewsbydjmillerja.wordpress.com/
- Often humorous observations from a fellow Kingstonian (and fellow Arsenal fan!) - “We are more than a beach, we are a country”. http://jamaicantillidie.blogspot.co.uk/
Do take a browse through the above, when you have a chance. You might like to participate in the Versatile Blogger Award, too!
See you later (with one eye on an action-packed opening game for Euro 2012, Greece vs Poland).